There’s not much to a home’s electrical system, and yet the condition of the wiring inside your home can affect you in all sorts of ways. Not only is old electrical wiring unsafe, but it has the potential to cause damage to your expensive home electronics. Depending on the age of your home and the condition of the electrical wiring, it might be a good idea to contact a residential electrical contractor in Columbus about rewiring. Get in touch with an electrical service company in your area if you notice any of these signs.
Dim, Flickering Lights
No, your house isn’t haunted—those flickering lights just might mean that your electrical wiring needs to be replaced. This is especially true if you notice that your lights dim or flicker when you turn on the microwave or vacuum cleaner. Flickering lights could also indicate a problem with the circuit breaker, but in either case you should have an electrician check it out.
Frayed Electrical Wires
Damaged electrical wiring is never a good thing, since frayed wires can cause fires. Electrical wires can fray or crack from age, heat, corrosion, or excessive bending over time. Wiring can also become damaged and exposed by nails or screws. If you notice any frayed or damaged electrical wires around your home, contact an electrician as soon as possible before your house goes up in flames as the result of an electrical fire.
Warm Outlets or Switches
Electrical outlets and switches should never feel warm. If you notice warm outlets or switches, this is a strong indication of unsafe electrical wiring that needs to be replaced quickly by a licensed residential electrician in Columbus. Scorch marks around outlets or switches is another surefire sign of an unsafe wiring condition, as it means the electrical wiring has already begun to spark and smoke.